Sunday, April 06, 2008

Book Review

Remember the days when we read books over the summer and came back to school only to do book reviews to our class? Well, I never would have thought I would be doing this when I grew up! Here are some books and magazines I was catching up on during my internet outage (I still haven't let it go).

Art books:

I've written about Teesha Moore's Art and Life zine before. This issue (#11) is filled with her journal pages done while she was in Japan. She also includes her own book review, which I love (if you're a book connoisseur like me)! ***Kudos


I received this book the other day in the mail. I love the "country crafts" in this book. But I must admit I probably wouldn't sew the stuffed figures offered, not my style. Although I would sew the fragrant strawberries, slippers, bags and needle cases. The fabrics used are sweet and delicious. I believe in every book, you can learn something from it! **Kudos


I know I'm not the only one that "collects" stuff to be made into fantastic creations someday and receiving this book only confirms my "obsession". It features artist collections like Gail Rieke's and Lynne Perrella's fabulous items. It also features their artwork too! ***Kudos

For the cook:

I ate at a restaurant in Santa Cruz, Cali called Malabar. They serve vegetarian dishes that are full of flavors and the dishes were unique. I even stole one of their paper menus, foolishly thinking I would be able to "recreate" the dishes at home. But instead I found this book filled with many vegetarian dishes from around the world. I haven't tried to cook any of the dishes yet, however just reading the recipes makes my mouth water. ***Kudos after skimming through the recipes

For the Farm Girl in all of us:

I've been on this kick lately about wanting fresh eggs, which lead me to checking this book out from the library. It's an easy read on how to care and raise chickens for eggs in a city dwelling. When the day comes where I don't have a shared backyard I WILL get me some chickens! ***Kudos

True Crime:
Bitter Harvest by Anne Rule :: NO IMAGE AVAILABLE-SORRY
I love reading true crime stories-it is really unbelievable what humans are capable of! I've read a couple of Anne Rule books before but this one was finished in 1 week (after work reading)! It's about a Dr who has a wonderful career, lovely family and immaculate house and jealousy tears everything apart. I would highly recommend this book if you're into this sorta thing. **Kudos

There are many more books, but not enough time. If you have any recommendations for me, please leave me a comment I would love to read what you're reading!

"I no longer feel bad about my stuff. In fact, I now classify it all as 'collections'. They are my tools. They are both the materials and the art itself".
-Lesley Riley from Art Making Collections and Obsessions

1 comment:

Karin said...

thanks for the book reviews! I actually read a book this weekend too :) see my blog for more details (i am so bad!) You find the best stuff!